This series is ideal for struggling readers in grades 4 Ė 6 who are in need of age-appropriate subjects at a low reading level. No longer will upper-elementary students have to read material junior to their maturity and interests. There is a wide variety of genres to choose from, and the characters span a diverse range of backgrounds. Science fiction, sports, paranormal, realistic life, historical fiction, and fantasy are just a few of the many genres.
They are a good step from Sound Out Chapter Books in that the type size is slightly smaller and sentence length is short. Illustrations are included on every page spread, which should aid struggling readers and keep them turning the pages!
Titles in Set #1 Include:
• The Code - Thereís the silent Code that every kid follows. But Chris decides he canít live with himself if he doesnít say something, so he makes a stand and is shocked at the outcome. Mean bully Phil is actually Ö cool.
Lexile: 200, GR: W
• The Gift - Zekeís emotions go on a crazy roller coaster ride when heís visited by a mysterious kid that only he can see Ö until he finds out his grandpa can also see the ghost.
Lexile: 10, GR: R
• I Am Underdog - Kemba feels like the lamest kid in school. If only he could be cool like the computer game superhero Underdog. Maybe then he could save himself from the biggest bully in the sixth grade.
Lexile: 120, GR: W
• Killer Flood - Dan and Pete are excited to have a sleepover at Danís house while their parents are away. Their excitement turns to fear when the dam breaks and a killer flood smashes through town.
Lexile: 150, GR: V
• The Lost House - At the last minute, Tiggs and Jess are asked to clean an old and possibly haunted house. The job will pay exactly what they need. But what they find inside may keep them trapped there Ö forever.
Lexile: 170, GR: T